Wednesday, July 7, 2010

UBC Golf Clinic


We had a golf clinic organized from our career management program at SFU MBA MOT program held at the UBC Golf Course. The day was separated into several segments

Driving Range

we spent time review hit golf balls from the astro turf mat with a 7 iron from the south driving range which I found to be more pleasant to hit from. I picked a few tips from the instructor that I found useful

swing: bring it back further and faster. I found the comment about the faster backswing to be interesting feedback as my friend Eliza recognized this and pointed it out to me. I got some good results from the 7 iron when I was able to connect with it on the sweet spot. I got some around the 125 yard area.
Sergei suggested to maintain the triangle formed when gripping the club with both arms until the club is above horizontal level and then to cock the wrist back a bit and then swing through. Sergei also suggested to keep the club head square to the ball when on the group and to keep it square throughout the back swing. This was good feedback that I'm excited to head out go an practice and try now.


putting:
-Segei suggested not to use the Shingo group, but to place the thumbs of both hand point straight up the shaft and removing the pinky from the interlock to a regular double fisted group.
- Another pointer I got was to pause on the follow through rather than coming back to the ready position of your swing
- Just like a job interview or before a tennis match spending some time on the green or the range at that course prior to your tee time is useful to warm up and see whether you get a feel for the green.

Practice at the course:
The instructor suggested one of the best places to practice and learn is actually on the course. He recommended a twilight tee time when it is a quieter and you can take your time to practice on the real course.

Driving:
See the video


Sand Trap tips:
See the video

No comments:

Post a Comment