Saturday, July 3, 2010

Get a grip



I bumped into My instructor Shingo and he recommended that I switch back to my original grip that he taught me. I struggled with it because I was practicing so often with the hand separated!

I've had several practice sessions and here are some personal notes and findings from this grip.

Left hand:
- the left hand wraps around the grip with the thumb pointing upward against the shaft in the direction of the white arrow on my grip
- crease between my left index finger and the thumb of the left hand form a V that Shingo and Tom Watson recommend pointing at your left shoulder

Right Hand
- the right hand comes over top where the thumb of your right hand points between 10 and 11pm if you imagine the face of a clock. In my opinion I found it important to get the stability on this group with the right thumb
- the right pinky finger comes between the middle and the index finger in the left hand interlocking the group.

Other pointers
I take the hands back together so that they work together. I tend to have one hand dominate so it gets wristy. I focus on the ball and not pulling my head up.

There you go the Shingo grip. Take a look at the pictures or the video for a better idea of what I'm talking about


There you go the Shingo grip in Greg's words. Take a look at the picture and the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment